Death’s Head Sphinx Moth …or not??
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Hi Bugman!
Here’s a photo of the Sphinx Moth that came to my front porch two nights ago. I never trap bugs, but he was so large (4 ins.) and unusual I decided to save him for a few hours til my kids awakened and could see him. We released him at dusk the next day and he flew away in fine fettle.
I ask for an id because I read that the Death’s Head Moth is not native and not found here, but this is clearly that moth, and certainly bears the little skull that I see in pix. Also a little freaky… Help!
Signature: Helen Epley

Pink Spotted Hawkmoth

Good morning Helen,
Many of the Sphinx Moths bear patterns on the thoracic area that can be anthropomorphized as looking like a skull, however, the pattern on the Death’s Head Moth is much more pronounced than it is in this lovely Pink Spotted Hawkmoth,
Agrias cingulata, a species that has been reported in much of North America as well as Central and South America.  You may read more about its habits on the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  BugGuidelists its range as:  “resident from southern United States to northern South America; migrates in late summer occasionally to northern states, rarely to British Columbia and southeastern Canada, and very rarely to west coast of Europe also resident in Galapagos Islands and Hawaii, and migrates in southern summer from northern South America to Argentina and Falkland Islands.”

Pink Spotted Hawkmoth

Thank you sooo much!  I saw the pink-spotted hawkmoth photos but couldn’t see any sort of skull in those particular photos, so I imagined the most exciting outcome!!
LOVE the site.
Helen Epley

Location: Connecticut