Detailed series of pics of monarch caterpillar to pupa
Location: Central Wisconsin
Hi! First of all, I want to thank you for your time and devotion to this site. I’ve been lurking for a few years, and have identified a few critters with the help that you give others. From my own failed attempts to keep a site/blog going, I know how much work it is, and I’m so glad you don’t have the same problem I do of letting it slide into oblivion. 🙂
My new hobby lately is to collect caterpillars. Some of my first have been monarchs–they’ve been really active at the caterpillar stage around Central Wisconsin. This is actually the first year I’ve ever seen one, but that doesn’t mean much since my attention has been elsewhere. I’ve brought a total of 7 home over the last week and a half, and within the first 3 days, all of my original 5 turned into pupa, and the latest 2 additions from the last field search has one as a pupa and the other currently finding his spot for his J.

Monarch Caterpillar prepares for metamorphosis

I was amazed at how fast the transformation was, and was disappointed with the first 4 turning into their cocoons before I could capture them with the camera. Finally I noted the signs I’d read about in one of my J’s, and sat like a hawk for hours to capture the following series of photos and video. I thought you may be interested, but understand if this is a rather common submission.
Since there are multiple photos all in my album, I’ll give the main link of the album along with using the form fields below for a few of them.
Main/full album: http://photobucket.com/monarch_metamorphosis
Signature: ScribbleMuse

Monarch Caterpillar begins transformation

Dear ScribbleMuse,
Thanks for the lovely documentation.  Common insects are often quite new to our readers who have logged onto our site for the first few times, and we always try to post timely submissions that new readers might encounter.  Your series of photos is quite wonderful, and we hope our readers visit the link you have provided so they can view the entire transformation process.

Monarch Chrysalis

Thank you for the compliments!  I’ve been finding that common components of nature often have quite extraordinary details when I take the time to look at them, and have had quite a few rewarding experiences.  Usually I’m hoping to capture just a nice still shot of something and then find something fascinating in the actions (or sometimes inactions) of the subject.
Thanks again for your time not only to me, but in general to provide this helpful website!
Lisha/ScribbleMuse

Location: Wisconsin