Big wasp-waisted wasp in Southern California
Location: Eastern San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles County, CA
Hi Bugman, I couldn’t find anything that looked like this so hope you can help. This wasp was found flying inside my apartment today, late summer. I captured it in a plastic jar. It seems to be a wasp with the most waspish-waist I’ve ever seen, and long (big) for what I’ve ever seen in Southern California, as long as a quarter. For a while in the jar, it seemed to be cleaning the back legs, then as it sat still, the rear segment pulsated. Since I have screens, how did something this big get inside? Should I look for a nest? In the spring, 5 months ago, I also had a swarm of carpenter ants in an inside bathroom (successfully identified thanks to your webpage). Are the wasps after the ants? My manager does nothing. Is the building doomed? Should I call an exterminator for my own apt only or just move?
Signature: Fascinated in California

Black and Yellow Mud Dauber

Sceliphron caementarium in LA County
Location: E. San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles County, CA (34.10, -117.84)
Hi again, Another pix and more details. Earlier today I submitted 2 photos, & kept looking online. I finally found my wasp on your website – a black and yellow mud dauber – Sceliphron caementarium – and since you said you didn’t have many pictures, I am sending a dorsal view now to add to my lateral views from earlier. It came to me today Sept. 5, 2011 around 2:30 pm, east San Gabriel Valley, CA when it flew lazily through my living room from an inside hallway and landed on a curtain where it was easily captured in a jar. I gently freed it into the vinca flowers by my front door and wished it well, since I have recently seen 2 large black spiders running through my apt. I hope the mud dauber still needs some food for her young… Thank you for a great website.
Signature: Fascinated in California

Black and Yellow Mud Dauber

Dear Fascinated in California,
We want to take the opportunity to thank you for several reasons.  Thanks for doing your own research and then kindly providing us with some photos of underrepresented species so that other visitors to our site can benefit.  Also thanks for your followup letter, and very importantly, for using the same signature in both emails which made locating your previous letter easier for our small but busy staff.  We are very happy to be posting your photos of the Black and Yellow Mud Dauber, and more photos and information are available on BugGuide.