Red and black insect
Location: Hemet California
PLEASE identify this bug for me. I have about 25,000 of them in my acre backyard. I need to know if their dangerous, if i need to get an exterminator or what. Please help me!!!!
Signature: Bug information??

Red Bug

The quality of your photograph is not ideal for discerning details, but the photo of the single insect you have attached appears to be a nonnative Red Bug, Scantius aegyptius, a species known to form large aggregations containing individuals from various stages ranging from young nymphs through mature individuals.  BugGuide has reported this invasive exotic species is already established in Southern California.  Our first reports of this nonnative invasion date back to 2009.  The University of Riverside has a nice page on this Invasive Exotic species.

Red Bug Aggregation

9 Responses to Red Bugs in California

1. Kristy says:

I just googled these bugs, and they might be called boxelder bugs that feed on seeds and weeds, I guess. I recently saw one with its head under the business end of an outdoor cockroach, which it seems had its rear propped up for convenience. I want to know if this was some sort of mating exercise or a territorial killing. I intend to ask whatsthatbug about the behavior of these strange little critters.

2. Karen says:

This invasive bug breeds very quickly – sort of like aphids. It doesn’t belong in Californiaand should be eradicated. They are in my father’s backyard in Chula Vista and within a year the population as exploded. There are so many of them it is really gross. Everywhere you look you see the bug in it’s various stages of development, climbing fences – up onto the patio, etc. They arefast breeding all year long and very invasive. His property is on a greenbelt area. I would expect they will destroy all the milkweed in the surrounding area. This is probably destroying the areas where Monarch butterfly caterpillers can thrive and contributes to the Monarch butterfly decline that is being observed. Since we are in a drought – this Lygaeidae will be thriving in the dry conditions all year long. If you see one, eradicate it and all others you find. I am not sure what to do about my Dad’s yard. I don’t like to use pesticides but am not sure what else can be done, aside from maybe lizards eating them.

3. brigitte says:

HOW do you get rid of them?

They started showing up in my yard in Valley Center. They are everywhere!!

4. I heard the only way you can get rid of them is to get rid of the weeds that surround it. Is there another way to eradicate them without using harsh chemicals? We have a community garden and are organic.

5. jess castillo says:

I have hundreds of these in my yard and once I cleaned out the weeds where they were living, they moved inside my home all along the baseboard of the wall that is inside of the flower bed I cleaned… What do I do?

6. Jack Olitsky says:

Peppermint oil or medicated foot powder both work; my neighbor and i used both to get them out of our entire neighborhood. Just be sure the powder is talc-based, not cornstarch. I put peppermint oil in a hudson sprayer, diluted with canola or another light oil.