Frog Legs with Lobster Body
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Hello:
My officemates and I found this bug just a moment ago. We have NO idea what it is. It looks like it has frog legs, but has a shell like a crustacean, and a lobster-type body that curls. We are all curious about what it is, and unfortunately, we don’t even know how to begin a Google search for it.
Hurricane Irene just passed us here in central NJ. Our office did not flood, but I’m guessing this mystery bug crawled in here over the weekend.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Signature: Ms. E

Camel Cricket

OK Ms. E,
You had us with that positively intriguing subject line, and then we saw this gorgeous photo of a common basement dweller.  Then we read your letter and we have to say, your submission has it all.  It is one swell package.  This is a Camel Cricket and they are often found in damp dank
dark locations, and as soon as we read you were in the path of Hurricane Irene, we thought for sure your basement had flooded and caused your Camel Cricket to seek higher drier ground.

Thanks so much for your speedy response!  My coworker posted the photo on Facebook and her scientist friend identified it as a Cave Cricket.  I think yours is a more accurate identification.  I still see it as having frog legs and a lobster body, though.  That is what I get for being a layperson!  Thanks again for replying, it was fun.  Best wishes on such an awesome project.  Sincerely, Kara Escobar.

Cave Cricket is another name for Camel Cricket.

Location: New Jersey