Fly which looks like a wasp
Location: Western NY
Hi bugman! Long time no visit. Thanks for the last ID about a year ago or more. I was out carousing the fields of goldenrod and was checking out all of the bee varieties when I noticed this little guy wasn’t a wasp/bee at all, but pretty close! Curious as I could not find this in the fly section.
There are some other little bees that did not like my camera that I was trying to catch for an ID, but I had no luck. Almost looks like a honeybee caring sacks of pollen but definitely not as they are smaller. Hopefully next time.
Signature: Mark W

Flower Fly

Dear Mark,
It was very astute of you to recognize that this very effective wasp mimic is actually a fly.  It is a member of the family Syrphidae, and the members of the family are often called Flower Flies or Hover Flies.  Your individual is in the genus
Spilomyia, and the angle of your photograph makes it impossible to make out the abdominal markings.  We cannot be certain of the species, but we believe this is most likely Spilomyia sayi.  You can compare your photo to the images posted to BugGuide.

Location: New York