So sorry to send so many
Location: Hawthorne, CA
Here is one that is on a flower that I haven’t been able to identify. I do know that it’s tiny flowers go to seed much as a dandelion. Guess I should pull it up right away if I don’t want my whole garden to be taken over. Just wanted to wait until I could get a somewhat decent photo of this tiny guy. Can you help? I’m sending a photo of a bloom with a Mexican Sunflower leaf behind it so you can get an idea of the size. We know you’re very busy right now, but would appreciate any help you can give.
Anna
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

Carrot Wasp

Hi Again Anna,
We actually identified this one much more quickly than we anticipated.  We opened the digital photo up yesterday before we did any research and this morning we zeroed in on the Carrot Wasps in the genus
Gasteruption on BugGuide.  There is not too much information on the information page on BugGuide, except the unexplained common name Carrot Wasp and this statement regarding food:  “Adults take nectar; larvae are predators or predator-inquilines of other Hymenoptera that nest in twigs or other woody sites.”  We suspect the adults are fond of taking nectar from the umbel blossoms of carrots and related plants, including many herbs like parsley, dill, and anise.  Your specimen is a male, as he lacks the ovipositor of the female.  This Cirrus Images website has some beautiful photographs and from there we were directed to the Tree of Life website that more thoroughly covers the parasitic habits of the group.

Thanks very much!  This is such a small wasp and is very hard see, much less get in focus.  I’m so glad you were able to identify it for me.  I also appreciate the links to Cirrus Images & Tree of Life websites.
Anna