Ant…Cricket…Beetle… Ant…Cricket…Beetle..Brickant?
Location: Missouri, St. Louis
Saw these guys all over a felled mimosa branch. They moved like fast ants, have legs like crickets and bodies appearing to be something like beetle. I looked and the only things I could find resembling them at all were clown beetles – but none really had the same markings or body. Please help this poor creature out of its identity crises!
PS: sorry the photos are a little blurry. I don’t have the best camera for close ups of a critter this size – approx. 1/2”L.
Signature: Confused Critter

Longhorned Borer Beetle: Neoclytus mucronatus

Dear Confused Critter,
This beetle is one of the Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae.  The larvae are wood borers and most are relatively species specific with regard to the host plant.  We believe your beetle is in the somewhat populous genus
Neoclytus, and based on photos posted to BugGuide, Neoclytus mucronatus seems like a very good match.  BugGuide also notes that it is:  “Fairly common and quite variable in size”

Location: Missouri