red and black beetle
Location: Beavercreek Ohio
I found this beetle on our living room carpet and could not find anything that looked like it on the web, the closest I could find was a blister beetle and I don’t think that is it. It has a black head about the same size as it’s red thorax with a black abdomen, it has red legs. We found it the 24th of August in Beavercreek Ohio. We live near a pond and trees.
Signature: electronic

False Bombardier Beetle

Dear electronic,
This is a fairly common Ground Beetle in the genus
Galerita known as a False Bombardier Beetle, and it is most likely Galerita bicolor.  Ground Beetles including the False Bombardier Beetles are beneficial predators.

Location: Ohio

10 Responses to False Bombardier Beetle

1. elizabeth says:

we found 2 of these in our yard on the 1st of may. we live in alabama.

2. Anne says:

I found one in my house in Virginia on May 5, 2014. Never seen one before.

3. Carissa says:

I found one at work yesterday in Lee’s Summit MO. I have also never seen one of these before.

4. Virginia Simpson says:

These beetles show up in my bathroom every spring. They come in through a break in the baseboard. I rather like them and look forward to their yearly arrival.

5. Kiki says:

I litterally just found three in less than ten minutes in Hooper Nebraska. Are they harmful I have a small dog who eats everything.

Though they might not taste too good, we don’t think eating a Bombardier Beetle will have a negative effect on your dog.

6. Tekila Bradley says:

I found one yesterday in the bathroom at work in Maryville,TN.

7. marcia says:

Just found one in Petersburg Va

8. Brittney says:

I just found one in my living room in WV. I didn’t know what it was. Research led me to your site.