Need help to identify a bug
Location: Bangalore, India
I took snaps of this bug which was sitting on my terrace. I found the shape of the wing very interesting, so I would appreciate if you could help me identifying this.
Signature: Rajesh Ranjan

Theretra lycetus

Dear Rajesh,
The wing shape and body structure of your moth is very typical of the family Sphingidae, the Sphinx Moths or Hawkmoths, to which it belongs.  We believe this is a Yam Hawkmoth,
Theretra nessus, and you may compare your individual to the photos on the Sphingidae of Hawaii webpage which indicates its typical range includes India, or the Sphingidae of the Eastern Palaearctic website.  We have a previous image of this species from Hawaii on our site, but it has been introduced to Hawaii where it is not native.

Ed Note:  August 26, 2011
After an exchange of comments, we now agree that this is not a Yam Hawkmoth, but the closely related
Theretra lycetus from the same genus.

Location: India

5 Responses to NOT Yam Hawkmoth from India

1. manishah69 says:

Looks more near to Theretra lycetus.

2. manishah69 says:

Dear Bugman

My friend’s moth looking very smiliar posted on INW was identified by Dr. Ian Kitching, NHM, UK
    http://www.indianaturewatch.net/displayimage.php?id=113580

Hope this helps.