West Coast Lady?
Location: Hawthorne, CA
I know, I thought I was done for a while! One last question, though. I think this is a West Coast Lady rather than the equally beautiful Painted Lady you have posted. Can you cofirm?
Signature: Thanks, Anna Carreon

West Coast Lady

Hi Again Anna,
We fear we may be in the doghouse with our other readers for posting so many of your submissions, but in our own defense, there are quite a few unanswered emails from you in our mailbox as well.  We agree that this is a West Coast Lady.  BugGuide has a very nice comparison and the explanation:  “The most obvious character that separates this from the very similar Painted Lady, is the large subapical bar near the front of the forewing, which is orange on this species and white in The Painted Lady –
V. cardui. A close look at the dark markings will show lots of other details that are different. The shape of the wings is also somewhat different.”  We like the Spanish name mentioned on BugGuide “Dama Cuatro Ojos” which translates to Four Eyed Lady.  We also love getting both an open and closed wing view on butterflies.

West Coast Lady

I sincerely hope you don’t get in the doghouse with your other readers.  I did save up my photos for a while, as family matters took precedence over the buggies.  I’ll try to space them out a little better in future.  Thanks for everything and also for the kind words.
Anna

Hi Anna,
We can’t imagine our readership being too upset seeing as your photos are such a nice addition to our site.  If we neglect to identify anything you sent in the recent submissions, please resend them after some time elapses.  The school year is about to begin and our time allotment for posting to the website will be reduced, however, with cooler weather, we also expect the number of submissions per day to also drop.