beetle
Location: Jamestown, RI
Found this pretty little thing in the vegetable garden 5/27/11. Was hanging out on my shirt.
Signature: PeeGee

Scarlet Malachite Beetle

Hi again PeeGee,
At first we thought this might be a Leaf Beetle, but we soon realized that was not correct.  After a bit of searching, we identified your Scarlet Malachite Beetle,
Malachius aeneus, one of the Soft Winged Flower Beetles in the family Melyridae.  You can read about the Scarlet Malachite Beetle on BugGuide including this information on its range:  “across southern Canada and northern United States, south in the east to at least North Carolina, south in the west to Oregon  also occurs in Europe, western Asia, and the Middle East  introduced to North America (no info available on date or location).” 

Coolo Dan.  Thanks a lot for that interesting info.  There will probably be more mysteries to come.   Love that you do what you do, so thanks.  PeeGee

Location: Rhode Island

5 Responses to Scarlet Malachite Beetle

1. Tom Mason says:

We have hundreds of the Scarlet Malachite Beetle in our Titusville, Florida area. They are most certainly not rare in this area.

2. J oe Flowers says:

Very curious infestation of what apparently are Scarlet Malachite Beetles around base siding of a mobile home in Arlington, TX. Curious what harm they cause and whether extermination is required. Thanks for info on this site to help identify and make informed decision.

3. Alli Blain says:

I’m pretty sure I have one of these stuck between the pane of my window and the screen. I’m afraid of bugs, so I’m hoping it finds it’s way out, back to the wild. I took a picture of it so I could try to identify it. I live in Western Canada, it’s June.