Moth?
Location: Mission, TX
Took this photo at NBC Butterfly Park in Mission, TX. He is about 1/2 ” wide and long.
Signature: Troy Zurovec

Unknown Diurnal Moth

Hi Troy,
We had time to do this last post this morning, but no time to identify.  We did not find it on the Texas Entomology site of Diurnal Moths.  Perhaps one of our readers will take this identification on today.  Is the NBC Butterfly Park open air or a closed pavilion will all imported species?  Is this a wild moth or a cultivated moth?

NBC is an open air park, there is no enclosed environment.  It is right on the US/Mexico border.  This is a wild moth.  To my knowlege nothing has been introduced to the park.  To my knowledge all plant life in the park is native to the area.

Got an answer today – Orange-spotted Flower Moth, Syngamia florella

Location: Texas

2 Responses to Orange Spotted Flower Moth

1. It looks an awful lot like a Syngamia florella, also known as a Red-waisted Florella Moth on BugGuide (hat tip to Butterfliesandmoths.org where I originally identified it).