Ground Beetle, But what kind?
Location: Vastwood Park. Hancock County Kentucky
I am pretty sure this is a Ground Beetle, but I am unsure of what kind of Ground Beetle it may be. Could it be a Feirce Ground Beetle?
This beetle was found under the bark of a rotting log, along with a centepede, 2 bess beetles, and a Click Beetle larva.
On a side note, I have found that a tool called a ”Rock Hammer” makes for a great tool to use to search for insects and larva in rotting logs.
Signature: MattG

Woodland Ground Beetle

Hi Matt,
This is not a Fierce Ground Beetle.  We are relatively confident that this is a Woodland Ground Beetle in the tribe Pterostichini, based on photos posted to BugGuide, but we cannot with any certainty provide you with a species name.  The following links are all from
BugGuide.  The likeliest genera are Myas and Pterostichus, with the subgenera Abacidus and Euferonia being strong contenders.  An exact identification would require an expert and probably examination of the specimen, however, our odds on favorite, based on this photo posted to BugGuide, is Pterostichus permundus.

Location: Kentucky