odd parasitic wasp
Location: Beaverton, OR
Found this little lady trying to bore holes in the side of our mason bee colony we made out of a 4×4. It’s ovipositor is extending from the first joint of the abdomen, I’ve never seen this before. Hopefully the photos will give you an idea of what this thing is. I’m dying to know!
Signature: Jason

Chalcid Wasp

Dear Jason,
Your photo is stunning, and perfectly composed to show the distinguishing features of this parasitic wasp.  We believe your wasp is a Chalcid Wasp, more specifically,
Leucospis affinis, and about a year ago, we posted a photo of one.  We originally identified it on BugGuide.  According to BugGuide, it is “Parasitic on Megachilid bees” which is consistent with your observations.  We will be copying Eric Eaton because he is currently developing a blog post about Chalcid Wasps, and he may request permission to use your photograph.

Thank you! I’m very happy to have this gal identified. I hope she manages to lay a few successfully, that wood’s pretty tough. I’d be happy to allow the use of this photo in Mr. Eaton’s blog post, just let him know to mail me at this address so he can have direct confirmation from me. Thanks again for the compliment and a fantastic web site for us budding entomologists!

Location: Oregon