Ant-Wasp-Fly attacking and Killing spider!
Location: Pierrefeu, Alpes-Maritimes, France
Hello Bugman/woman,
I witnessed this brutal attack and wondered if you could identify both creatures.
The ”Ant-Wasp-Fly” insisted 3 times to chase the spider up a tree and knock it off and eventually managed to put the spider on its back and killed it.
Signature: brutal attack

do you have a higher resolution image?

Spider Wasp Paralyzes Spider

This was a screen shot of a 720p video (iPhone 4) of the attack. Is there any way I could ‘upload’ that to you?
httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riwHj4EPq-0

Though we are hoping for a higher resolution image, we are nonetheless posting this great documentation of a Spider Wasp in the family Pompilidae stinging and paralyzing what appears to be a Wolf Spider.  The Spider Wasp does not eat the Spider it has preyed upon.  The Spider will provide food for a larval wasp and the female Spider Wasp will provision her nest with paralyzed Spiders so that her brood will have a supply of fresh meat.  Dead spiders would dry out, but the paralyzed spider is eaten alive, with the vital organs being eaten last.  Though the quality of this image is poor, we believe we have identified the wasp Arachnospila anceps based on a photo on the Commanster Pompilidae page.  That identification is further supported by the images posted on the Nature Conservation Imaging web page, but it should be noted that this black and red coloration pattern is not rare in Spider Wasps, and the individual in your photo may be another species.  We would still love a higher resolution image if one is available.

PS: I also saw this very similar insect a day later in the same area (see attachment). Maybe it is the same one as in the video link I sent..?

Spider Wasp

Hi again Raphael,
Spider Wasps in the family Pompilidae take nectar as adults as opposed to feeding as predators.  This individual does look very much like the same species in the previously published image.

Location: France