Whats this bug???
Location: Southern Ca
I found this little bug when I was watering my sunflowers. I live in the Mojave desert in Southern CA.
Signature: J Odice

Assassin Bug: Zelus species

zelus assassin bug

Thanks, I tried looking it up and could not find an image anywhere that looked like it…LOve your site!!!
Jill

Hi again Jill,
Assassin Bugs in the genus Zelus are often difficult to identify to the species level, except perhaps the Milkweed Assassin Bug,
Zelus longipes, which has distinctive orange and black coloration.  We found a photo on BugGuide of an unidentified Zelus Assassin Bug from Nevada that looks very similar to your individual.  Assassin Bugs are beneficial predators and they will help eliminate Aphids and other undesirable insects on your plants.  Beware though, since we get frequent reports of people being bit by Assassin Bugs, especially those in the genus Zelus.  The bite is reported to be painful, but it does not have lasting effects.  Accidentally brushing up against Assassin Bugs while gardening, or trying to handle them are the usual scenarios that provoke a bite.

One Response to Assassin Bug

1. drswanny says:

This is Zelus renardii, albeit a little brighter than your typical individual.