Large Flies Mating.
Location: Central Ontario,Canada
I was wondering if someone could tell me what on earth these flies are.I know what they are doing,that’s obvious.I have never seen them before up until the last week or so. My cat has been chasing them around on the deck,but I can never seem to get a picture of one until today. And behold I got two of them. I managed to get about 35 photos. They are rather large. the widest part of there upper body may span 3/4 of an inch. And a beautiful pattern on there front portion of there body. So any assistance would be great. Thank you so much.
Signature: Matt Hickey

Mating Annual Cicadas

Hi Matt,
We just finished posting an identification request for an Annual Cicada, and we remarked that in mid to late summer, we always get requests to identify enormous flies that are actually Annual Cicadas, sometimes called Harvestflies.  Just as we posted, your email arrived to substantiate our claim.  These are mating Annual Cicadas in the genus
Tibicen, and we believe they are Tibicen canicularis, Dogday Harvestflies or Northern Dog-Day Cicadas.  You can read details about this species on BugGuide.

Mating Annual Cicadas

Thank you so much for your quick response. We have lived at our current location for over 15 years and have never come across these Flies before. It is amazing. Just when you think you know it all.

Location: Canada