Eight Spotted Skimmer in the Hood
Location: Portland, Oregon
Hi-
Fantastic site, thank you for your labor of love!
My good friend and top sleuther, Davey identified this as an eight-spotted skimmer. I took this photo 8/7/11 on my patio in Portland, OR. I live right in the city, within two miles of the Mt. Tabor reservoir, so woods and water are nearby. This guy (or lady?) didn’t flinch at all even with my camera up in its face. It merely turned its head and smiled.
Signature: Vicki B.

Eight Spotted Skimmer

Hi Vicki,
Thank you for sending in your photo of an Eight Spotted Skimmer,
Libellula forensis, a species that is so distinctive it is unlikely to be confused with other Dragonflies, which we often have difficulty identifying.

Location: Oregon

One Response to Eight Spotted Skimmer

1. CLRtsy says:

I just snagged a great picture of one of these up in Amasa, MI. Landed on my camping chair, and yep, just sat and posed for my picture as well. Had no idea what kind of dragonfly this was but thought it was just amazing. Somebody told me about this site as far as discovering ‘bugs’. Now I know what this is. Thanks so much!