Grasshopper
Location: North America, Minnesota
I am wondering what this lil critter is! Found him on my car about half way to my destination, he was on my windshield an I am glad he didn’t fly off so i could snap a pic!
Signature: Rye-Guy

Common Conehead

Dear Rye-Guy,
Your Katydid is known as a Common Conehead in the genus
Neocolocephalus, and BugGuide has this to say about its feeding habits:  “Adults feed mostly on seeds of grasses, sometimes sedges. Nymphs feed on grass flowers, developing seeds.”  BugGuide also notes that it may bite if handled, but it is worth mentioning that this is not a venomous species and it is most likely that the bite will not even draw blood.

Location: Minnesota

3 Responses to Common Conehead

1. I found a female conehead grasshopper on my husbands car tire I took its picture .good thing I didn’t touch it I found out they will bite.

2. Charlie Stehlin says:

Their bite will be of no harm. They bite because when a big monster human handles them they scare and put up a defense as they should. Survival instinct they call this. The sad thing about ignorance is that a lot of suffering comes out of it. I’ve seen and have known insects and sometimes garter snakes that were stepped on and killed because of peoples fear of them. Ignorance! It’s a shame all the killing we do. If we cannot replace it we have no right to destroy it. What a beautiful specimen the conehead is!

3. DAVE says:

we have them and when squashed or bit open by the dog long worms come out of them. What the hell is that?