Big Black Winged Insect
Location: Chincoteague, VA
This bug was on my car when I visited Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia. It was near the coast in the woods. Between 1 and 2 inches long. Any ideas?
Signature: Megan

Female Black Horse Fly

Dear Megan,
You have photographed a female Black Horse Fly,
Tabanus atratus, the same species we posted a photo of yesterday after being snared in the web of a Golden Orbweaver.  The eyes of female Horse Flies are spaced farther apart than those of the males which have no separation.

Location: Virginia

4 Responses to Female Black Horse Fly

1. Karen says:

Oh my gosh I just saw one of these monsters on my deck in Rhode Island. It seriously looks like a flying Darth Vader! Ugh…I tried to snap a pic, but it came after me so fast I rolled through my door like I was avoiding a sniper…not an easy feat for a 51 year old…Haha!
    Fierce looking bug for sure.

2. Zack says:

Was driving home here in Georgia with window half way down, and nailed one of these females on the window jam. Must have been feeding cause I tore open the thorax which had red blood in it. And even though incapacitated, this horse fly was still able to crawl around for 5 mins in my car til I could pull over and remove it.. Terrified of stinging insects like rose flies and wasps etc… And about 6 miles prior I had a baby wasp get in my car and felt something like a splinter poking my back turned out to be that little guy and he stung me through my shirt but not
    Near as painful as an adult wasp.

3. Cynthia E VanLoan says:

we have these every year in Hudson Valley/Catskill Mtn area in NY. usually start becoming prevalent August – Sept. nasty bites. smart too. they tend to land on top of rump where horse cant reach with mouth or tail. mine will buck & head to nearest shed. good fly spray seems to help a lot.