A type of dragonfly?
Location: Claremont, New Hampshire
I found this critter flying around and landing on my flowers. It buzzed like a bee when it was flying around. The first picture is pretty clear. I included the second one, because it shows it from the top, but my apologies for the fogginess. The camera was in airconditioning and I brought it out in hot humid weather! Thanks! I love your website.
Signature: Betty

New York Bee Killer

Dear Betty,
Your insect is a predatory Robber Fly, one of the Hanging Thieves in the genus
Diogmites.  More specifically, it is the New York Bee Killer, Diogmites basalis, and we identified it on BugGuide, where it is described as “‘A large reddish brown species, with golden spots on each side of the abdominal segments’ (Artigas, 1966).”  The referenced publication, The Genus Diogmites (Robber Flies) in the Eastern United States by Jorge N. Artigas, states: “These insects apparently do not fly far from the place where the immature stages are spent, and are often abundant in certain areas. They commonly occur along woodland edges, the shores of streams, and in open fields with low vegetation; in Ohio they seem to prefer clover fields and fields containing blackberry bushes. The seasonal range of the adults varies in different species, from the end of June to the middle of October. The adults are active during the day, and at dusk seek refuge under branches and stones.” 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  Usually I can find what I am looking for on your website, but this one had me stumped.
Thanks again,
Betty

Location: New Hampshire