What is this bug?
Location: Athens, GA
Hi there! This guy has been hanging out on my back porch for a couple days now, and I have no clue what he is! Sort of a fly/bee/hornet hybrid. Really curious to get him ID’d. These photos were taken today, Aug. 4, 2011.
Signature: Michelle G.

Robber Fly

Hi Michelle,
This is some species of Robber Fly in the family Asilidae.  They are amazing predators that catch their prey on the wing.  We believe your Robber Fly might be Proctacanthus fulviventris based on photos posted to BugGuidebecause the legs, antennae, wings and abdomen appear to match.

Robber Fly

Wow, thanks! I looked up Robber Fly and I actually believe this guy
might be Promachus rufipes… you can’t tell in the photo I took, but
the length of his tail is striped yellow and black…which is why I
thought he was a hornet at first!
Thanks so much!! I’ve really enjoyed learning about these carnivorous
insects. I had never heard of Robber Flies before.
Michelle

Hi again Michelle,
We entertained that possibility.  We really wanted it to be the Red Footed Cannibalfly, but it appears that the feet are not as red as most individuals on BugGuide.  A good side view would help us, but there is probably enough for a real Robber Fly expert to determine the species.  Perhaps someone will write in to confirm.

Location: Georgia