caterpillars
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Hi! Found your website and figured you might be able to help! We found what we think is a caterpillar, but I’m not sure. It was a very bright green color, almost neon and had a head that came out of its body, that almost looked like a beetles head! Also reminded me of a gummy worm cause of the consistency. We didn’t bother him much, just took him out of the driveway and put him on a tree. We would really like to know more about this pretty little thing! Ill try to attach a picture of him! Thank you very much!
Signature: Amanda

Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar

Hi Amanda,
We really love the way your Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar appears to be smiling for the camera.

Thank you so much!! And yes.. we joked about when he seen me there, he kinda lifted his head up to say hello! He’s awesome!

Location: Ohio

6 Responses to Polyphemus Moth Caterpillar

1. Jeff Stoudt says:

Polyphemus moth Lebanon Oh. Thanks for the help identifying!

2. Mrs samples says:

Is this caterpillar poisonous if touched by a child?

3. Debbie Hug says:

I just found one. So pretty!

4. Kerry Guerin says:

Ha!! Do NOT be fooled. He has all sorts of pretty masks, but only rarely will he show his actual, gruesome face. This insect has the most terrifying, hideous countenance you can imagine, tucked tightly away under that smooth round foreskin at the front of his body, and no doubt those cute eyes and smiles painted all over in a morph are the adaptations permitting survival. It’s the stuff of nightmares. Literally. I saw it once, and can’t hold them without an intense shudder of fear flashing quickly through my body, complete with the instinct to remove the little horror from the gene pool.

Looks like cotton candy. Tastes like poison.

Oh.

These little fu…. err, uh… buggers are the psychopaths of the insect world. I kid you not. Don’t mess with them. Unless you have lizards. Then they’re the best food you’ll ever find,

IF

AMD ONLY if they haven’t been eating their natural diet. You know, nightshades. Cause then they turn into little axe murderers instead of one of the best superfoods you’ll ever find.