Wierd Spanish Bug
Location: Andalucia, Spain
I live in spain and came across this bug the other week. it could not fly very well but was pretty huge!
Signature: Mr McCann

Mammoth Wasp

Dear Mr. McCann,
Throughout the years, we have gotten several images of the Mammoth Wasp,
Scolia flavifrons, and each time we cannot help but to be impressed by one of the most magnificent wasps in the world.  It seems appropriate that such a large wasp would prey on the larvae of the impressive Rhinoceros Beetles.  We have some good links on our 2009 submission from Sicily

Location: Sicily

6 Responses to Mammoth Wasp from Spain

1. David says:

I had a mammoth wasp land next to me whilst sunbathing today in the mountains outside Madrid. When I googled it they say the size is up to 6cm, the one I saw and pictured was bigger.

2. Pam says:

We have just found one in Calonge, Girona in Catalunya….and taken its photo too though I don’t know how to upload it. Pleased to know it won’t sting us!

3. Carl Hawker says:

I had one of these pay a visit to me while on the beach in the Algarve the other day .
    I have a picture of it you would like

4. Jody says:

It’s a scolid wasp 🙂