Red and black cricket-like insect
Location: Central Ohio
Hi!
I have been seeing these little guys hanging around on my lilac bush. They look like crickets, but I haven’t been able to identify them. Perhaps it’s a katydid nymph of some kind?
Signature: Morgan in Hilliard, Ohio

Red Headed Bush Cricket

Hi Morgan,
The Red Headed Bush Cricket, 
Phyllopalpus pulchellus, reminds you of a Cricket because it is a true Cricket in the family Gryllidae.  According to BugGuide, it is also called a Handsome Trig.

Location: Ohio

6 Responses to Red Headed Bush Cricket

1. Daniel,

If you would like to use my up-close photo of the Red Headed Bush Cricket, you are more than welcome to view and download it from my Flickr page (I could not find an upload link for your site). I found this cricket in my backyard, and it was the first time I had ever seen one – handsome little things!

Regards,
    Jeff Eppinette

2. Shania says:

I live in yadkinville North Carolina and I just seen this bug.

3. Eni says:

Found one of these little guys on my porch; I’ve never seen one before today. Super cute!

4. Christina Hanvy says:

Saw one today in my backyard. At first I thought it was some kind of termite, until I saw it’s hind legs. Interesting looking critter. Ellenboro, NC.

5. Al Deen says:

These guys have been all around the bushes by my house