Paper Wasp skins, preps Caterpillar for larvae
Location: Clarksburg, MA
Hello! I noticed the Golden Paper Wasp post, and that you mentioned how the wasps feed caterpillars to their young. I just happened to be photographing bugs yesterday and I caught what I believe is a Common or Northern Paper Wasp (Polistes fuscatus) already in the process of skinning a caterpillar. In the first picture, you can see it’s chewing/cutting off the head and thorax regions, which eventually were totally severed and fell to the ground. It then started chewing and balling up what was left. I was a little confused, because I thought it was actually eating the caterpillar, but your other post clarified that they chew ’em up for the kiddies. Thought you might like a couple pics. Enjoy!
Signature: Michael Marlow

Paper Wasp Skins Caterpillar

Hi Michael,
What wonderful photographs you have supplied to us of a Northern Paper Wasp skinning a Caterpillar in support of the information we just posted on the Golden Paper Wasp.

Paper Wasp Skins Caterpillar

Location: Massachusetts

One Response to Northern Paper Wasp prepares Caterpillar to feed to Larvae

1. Thanks; it’s my pleasure to contribute to your great project here!