Big Bug in Kruger
Location: Letaba Rest Camp, Kruger National Park, South Africa
Hi there Bugman,
What’s this bug? One of the most fascinating creatures I’ve ever captured on film. We met on mondaymorning May 29 back in 2006 in Kruger National Park. Would like to know his name.
Thanks in advance!
Tom from The Netherlands

Koringkriek

Hi Tom,
This is a Longhorned Orthopteran, Eugaster longipes, and it is called a Koringkriek.  We posted a photo back in 2009 when we did all the original research.  The Wilkinson’s World Blog calls it an Armored Ground Cricket.  The Encyclopedia of Life website classifies it as a Katydid in the family Tettigoni1dae, and we would surmise that it is also a Shield Backed Katydid in the subfamily Tettigoniinae.

Koringkriek

Location: Africa

5 Responses to Koringkriek from South Africa

1. Kenneth Rosenstein says:

During my recent trip to Namibia I notice an large amount of the koringkriek.
    I grew up in the Northern Cape of South Africa and we use to catch them an feed them to our chickens. for many year I have not seen them around so I was quite amazed to have see so many during my business trip in Namibia. at once stage I had thought that they had died out, o I am very glad that they are still around.

2. Trevor says:

There seems to be a plague of them this year in Namibia it usually happens after a good rainy season we are on a farm at the moment where there are millions of them they eat each other once dead and anything else they find

3. Gert Botha says:

Hi All

I am from Namibia.

Has anyone any info on the life cycle of these creatures?

Kind regards and gladly awaiting any reply!

Gert

4. Steve says:

I stay at mpumalanga witbank,I never seen such a kriek in my life it dig a hole as big as a rat hole