Unknown bug next to American cockroach
Location: So Cal Hi Desert City of Adelanto zip 92301
I was having trouble with the American cockroach in my lawn, but not in the house. This morning I sprayed around the house and the lawn and I found this dark brown striped bug by some dead cockroaches. What is is? I only found one so far as compared to many dead cockroaches that came out of my lawn after I sprayed.
Signature: Bill Riechel

Male Turkestan Cockroach (above) and female

Hi Bill,
These are both Cockroaches.  The individual you are calling the American Cockroach is lighter than we would expect.  How large was the dark brown striped Cockroach?  American Cockroaches are quite large.  We are going to try to get some assistance from Eric Eaton on this identification.

As we continued to browse BugGuide, we found this unidentified Cockroach from Riverside California.  This may be a new introduction, or a newly discovered native species.  Hopefully, we will get some additional information.

Female Turkestan Cockroach (left) and male

Eric Eaton provides and identification
August 1, 2011
Male (right) and female (left) Turkestan Cockroach, Blatta lateralis.  They are a common “outdoor” roach in urban areas here in Tucson.

Ed. Note:  See BugGuide

Update from Bill
August 3, 2011
Subject: Turkestan Cockroach
Location: Adelanto, CA 92301
When I wrote the other day for bug ID I was wrong on the lighter color cockroach as I thought it was an American, but is only about 1” long and in my research I found that it is the male Turkestan cockroach. I have now caught a female and have attached a set of photos here, but in al my searching I was never able to ID the bigger striped bug which is about 1.5” long.
Signature: Bill Riechel

Turkestan Cockroaches, female above

Ed. Note:  August 4, 2011
We are in agreement with Bill that he now has a pair of Turkestan Cockroaches, and we feel that the previously submitted images contain the unknown Cockroach that is similar to one posted to
BugGuide.  We are going to recontact Eric Eaton to ask him to revisit his original identification.

Hi Daniel:
So you don’t think it could be a drown female that is bloated as per Eric’s answer?
The body segments match in number and the strip on the wing buds is the same and if it was swollen then the head maybe pushed out from under its protective shell.  I don’t know!
I am going to try and catch a live female and drop her in a bucket of water for a couple of days to see if I can duplicate the swelling effect from drowning.
Last night I inspected my lawn area where the heaviest concentration of the roaches were and even with a flash light I could find none, nor did I even see any possible movement.  I used “Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Control”  in the quart bottle that attaches to you hose.  I did all around the house 2 feet up the stucco and 2 feet out from the house on my gravel that surrounds most of the house and my lawn.
I then sprayed “Ortho Home Defense Max”  around the house at the bottom of the stucco where the stucco breather strip is.  The next morning when I walked around the house I found more dead Turkestan males, 3 dead black widows and a few dead silverfish.
I have only seen 9 females as compared to numerous males.  What is the normal ratio of females to males?
Thanks for all the help!

Eric Eaton confirms his original identification
The “unknown” roach is a bloated, probably drowned, female Turkestan Roach, plain and simple.

Update:  Scientific Experiment verifies identity
August 8, 2011
Hi Daniel & Eric:
I found a female Turkestan cockroach and put her in a cup of water and it took two days for her to swell up and expose the white bands of her body segments, also her head came out from under the protection of the shell to look just like the one I pictured for ID.
BILL RIECHEL

6 Responses to Turkestan Cockroaches

1. deweypest says:

That looks like an Oriental Cockroach, commonly called a Water Bug in the High Desert. They generally prefer living outdoors where they can find lots of water (hence the common name), but will often come indoors around the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room or garage. Having worked in the High Desert for Dewey Pest Control for the past few years, I have noticed that complaints about this pest have become extremely common, to the point where I would guess at least 70% of households in the Inland Empire have seen them around the house. Unfortunately, since they are so common it is extremely difficult to eradicate them from your property without a professional service coming out regularly. If you are interested in getting a service, call me at 760-617-1598 and I will be able to get you half price on our initial service.

Thank you for your input, and we are sure that at Dewey you know your pests, and we agree that it is a Cockroach. We found a photo of an unidentified Cockroach on BugGuide, and we are in agreement with BugGuide that this is an unfamiliar species and not the Oriental Cockroach,Blatta orientalis, commonly called a Water Bug.

2. deweypest says:

Oh, and that offer is available to anyone living just about anywhere in the state of California.

3. deweypest says:

Ah, well I guess I need to leave the identification to our technicians and stay in the office then!

4. william says:

the turistan cockroaches are now permiating norther california especial from redding to yubacity they are harder to get rid of than americans or orientals they seem to be more active at night but the males love to slip under doors when they see night some times its all i see outside now!@