Tasmanian Tiger Moth?
Location: Southport, Tasmania
We found this beautiful fella down in Southport, Tasmania…about as far south as you can get. I really dont have much idea what it could be, but I was looking for pictures of Tigermoth aeroplanes recently and saw they look very much like North American Tiger Moths, complete with the vivid orange under the main wings…but nothing like any Tiger Moths I could find from Australia.
I have found some of the most beautiful moths in this location and have more to share! but would really like to clear up this mystery first.
Signature: Dave

Tiger Moth

Hi Dave,
We are posting your Tiger Moth image prior to getting an identification.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to provide a comment.  We are also contacting Julian Donahue, an expert in Tiger Moths, to see if he is able to provide any information.

Julian Donahue provides a species identification
Although very similar in appearance to some species of Hyphantria from Mexico, this Australian moth appears to be Spilosoma glatignyi. Like many arctiids, the extent of the black markings is highly variable; this is a relatively dark individual.

Fantastic! Thanks so much, I cant wait to go back there with an even keener eye and new knowledge to see what I can find!
Dave Scully

2 Responses to Tiger Moth from Tasmania

1. Phasmidae says:

Correct the species is Spilosoma glatigny

Thanks for the spelling correction suggestion. The spelling provided by Lepidopterist and Tiger Moth specialist Julian Donahue may have been changed, but it is still found online.