Unidentified Red Beetle
Location: Chicago IL, July 24 2011, 4pm
I found this one crawling on my leg in the garden and I’ve never seen it before…so I grabbed my cam and snapped as many shots as I could…I couldnt find any other bugs online to match this one, a rather small beetle too, no longer than a fingernail
Signature: Meg C

Lily Leaf Beetle

Hi Meg,
This is a Lily Leaf Beetle,
Lilioceris lilii, a Eurasian species that has become established in Canada and the Northern states.  Adults and larvae feed on the leaves of many cultivated plants in the lily family.

Correction:  July 28, 2011
We just received a comment bringing to our attention that what we misidentified as a Lily Leaf Beetle (see BugGuide) is actually the same Blister Beetle that confused us earlier in the month.  It is actually 
Rhyphonemognatha rufa which may also be found on Bugguide.

Location: Illinois

2 Responses to CORRECTION: Blister Beetle, not Lily Leaf Beetle

1. supaslim says:

Are you sure that’s a Lily Leaf Beetle? It looks almost identical to the red blister beetle I asked for help identifying a couple weeks ago, and we’re from the same area.

https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2011/07/01/leaf-beetle-8/

Thanks so much for catching our error. This is what happens when we try to post too many photos and letters without looking closely.