upstate ny, came out of dead rabbit
Location: Greene County, NY
Have no clue.. it is alive and crawls around.. found it while cleaning a dead rabbit can you help
Signature: FoX83

Bot Fly Larva

Hi FoX83,
This is the larva of a Rodent Bot Fly in the genus
Cuterebra.  The larvae are endoparasites found on certain mammals.  The Bot Fly larva forms a warble, generally on the neck of the infested host, and though they look quite nasty, they are alleged to not harm the host.

Location: New York

6 Responses to Bot Fly Larva

1. Mickey says:

“and though they look quite nasty, they are alleged to not harm the host.” We had one in our cat’s stomach some years back here in Florida and the larva caused the tissue to go necrotic. An expensive vet visit later and drains and such kept the cat from probably dying from it. So, perhaps when they’re on squirrels and such they won’t hurt them, but I can say for cats, no bueno.

2. Tom kane says:

Thank you for solving my mystery. Two dead mice in traps yielded two bot fly larva. We had no idea what we were dealing with. You are very knowledgeable and helpful. Here in PA we have all sorts of pests. Thanks once again.

3. Brian says:

I have found 2 mice in traps now here in SW Michigan with this larva in them, my concern is if they can be found in Turkey’s as well, I raise a small number of them to sell every year to sell to family and friends. Thank you

4. Liz K says:

I live in Upstate NY border of PA . A couple of years back I found a dead mouse underneath my oven. This is quite common and my cats usually catch them. They somehow come in from outside to that area. Anyway this particular time there was a black slimy looking thing lying next to the dead mouse , still moving. I quickly shoveled both up and threw them outside. I was at a lost as to what the black thing was. Now I believe it was a bit fly. I guess the mouse had gotten too small and it came out on its own?