Luna Moth
Location: Freeport Maine
I discovered a Luna Moth on my barn door. It stayed with us 3 days before a 2nd one appeared. They stayed an additional day and a half for a total of 4 1/2 days for the first and 1 1/2 days for the 2nd. I understand it is very rare to see one, let alone 2 in the same place at the same time. We live in Maine and this is the first time we have ever seen one before.
Signature: Lisa in Maine

Luna Moth

Hi Lisa,
Luna Moths have a relatively extensive range, and each year we get numerous reports.  While they have a large range, the population does not seem to be distributed evenly.  In areas where conditions are favorable and food plants are available, they can be quite plentiful.  Reports indicate that Maine is a location where populations of Luna Moths can be quite dense.

Luna Moths

Location: Maine

4 Responses to Two Luna Moths in Maine

1. At our vacation home about 30 miles northwest of Portland, Maine, we generally see Luna moths the weekend closest to June 15th and maybe a week or possibly two earlier and later. There is a woods with lots of beech trees behind our house. If we have outdoor lights on after midnight that time of year we may have a half-dozen of them around at one time — so I’ll go along with “Maine is a location where populations of Luna Moths can be quite dense.”

Thanks for providing yet another opinion to support our statement which is entirely based on submissions we have received and no formal scientific investigation.

2. Nicholas says:

I’ve only seen one in my life and that was when I was young and it was cought in a spider web I saved it did me proud to know I saved a beautiful creature. I lives in main at the time I saw one