Flying teeth
Location: North East, Maryland
Summer time, about 95 degrees out on a clear day and this beast was waiting for me outside my door in the morning. It’s nearly 3” long from teeth to end of wings and it looked to have 6 legs. Unknown what under the wings looks like. With a jaw like that I didn’t bother to press my luck!
Signature: plez

Female Dobsonfly

Dear plez,
This is a female Dobsonfly, and while she has no venom or poison, you are probably correct that a bite might hurt and possibly even draw blood.  The male of the species has even more impressive mandibles, however, they are not designed for biting as those of the female are designed.

Location: Maryland

2 Responses to Female Dobsonfly

1. Reed Wills Padgett jr. says:

I noticed that this insect is typically fond in Maryland ,however i live in Northeast Georgia at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain Chain.I just caught this huge beast flying in my garage.What is this strange criter doing in my neck of the woods and should i exspect more .
    Thankx