Moth or Bee?
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Dear Bugman: I’ve been seeing this insect flying around my house for a few days. Today I found it digging several tunnels under some rocks. It’s about 2” long and looks like it has 2 sets of wings with a nipped waist and head. Although the antennae look like a moth’s, it sounds like a bee. The abdomen is smooth, so I’m not sure if it is a type of hawk moth or not.
Signature: Anne

Cicada Killer

Hi Anne,
This is neither.  This is a female Cicada Killer, a species of Sand Wasp.  The female digs an underground nursery and that appears to be its opening in your photo.  She will provision it with paralyzed Cicadas to serve as food for her brood.  A female Cicada Killer will normally lay 2 to 7 eggs in her underground nest, and each is in its own chamber with an adequate food supply of Cicadas.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!  Now the big question is whether I take steps to get rid of it or just leave it alone.  Apparently those tunnels will produce a new generation.  Thanks again!
Anne

Location: Michigan

4 Responses to Female Cicada Killer

1. Lorechelle says:

I live in the Tampa Bay area in Florida and was walking to my car and heard a loud buzzing, Extremely loud, almost electrical sound, but out of the sky/tree? Fell a large, approximately 3 inch long Wasp looking thing with definite black and yellow stripped rear. It was on a large whitish looking bug, and appeared to be repeatedly stinging it, I went to grab my phone to get a picture, as it was at the end of my walkway, and it actually flew off with the bug? I’m freaking out about this. This is not the behavior of the Cicada Killer Wasp that I have heard about, although from pictures it looks similar except maybe larger, and I haven’t heard about the noise these Cicada Killers make? This was loud, in daylight hours, and the noise is definitely something that if heard again, I will recognize . anyone with any information, Please Help???

2. Lorechelle says:

I really wish I had gotten a photo to and I heard the noise last night,the electrical buzzing and I believe that I saw it up under a street light at the end of my walkway but when it got the bug it was after it flew in a tree? Do Cicada Killers make noise and fly into trees? And this one definitely picked it up and flew off with it. Are Cicada white?? Any information would be greatly appreciated? Thank you Sincerely