Spider in Northeastern Brazil
Location: Northeastern Brazil
Hello, I have another little specimen from Brazil that I’d like to know about. I saw these little dudes every once in a while in a web that they make in between plants or branches. At first, they appear to have 4 legs but if you look closely they group their legs together in four groups of two. They sit in the middle of the web during the day and night and are VERY FAST when a bug lands in their web. I would pick up ants and throw them in and watch the spiders do their work, which was quite entertaining. One house that I lived in had around 20 of these in the back yard. I don’t know the Brazilian name for this one though. I googled pictures of spiders in Northeastern Brazil until I found the spider I was looking for. Here it is 🙂 Thanks a lot!
Signature: Jay21310

Orbweaver traps Stink Bug

Hi Jay21310,
This spider is an Orbweaver in the genus
Argiope, and it appears to have trapped a Stink Bug.

Thank you so much for the identification. After I received your reply I studied a bit more about the genus and also found out that they are harmless to humans unless molested, and if bitten, the venom is very weak. I always thought otherwise because of the brightly colored abdomen! I also found out that the venom contains Argiotoxin (ArgTX-636) is often gathered for therapeutic reasons. What an amazing species!

Location: Brazil