some photos you might like
Location: northwest Illinois
I am an amateur arachnologist and I often catch spiders around my house with the intention of photographing them. I have also been raising some Hogna helluo wolf spiders from egg sacs for about seven months now. I have lots of pictures of spiders, and thought I’d share them with you. Should you need some nice spider pictures, or help identifying spiders, I am willing to offer my services for free. It’s a way to share my love for these much maligned little guys and gals, and give you a helping hand if you want to take me up on my offer. The second and third images are a male and a female juvenile wolf spiders, two members of my seven month old brood.
Signature: that spider guy

Female Wolf Spider

Dear Spider Guy,
Thanks so much for sending us images of your female and male Wolf Spiders.  We are curious how you fed the hatchlings when they first emerged from the egg sac, or if you let them cannibalize each other until they were large enough to feed them small insects.  You can actually assist us with identifications by checking out our Spider section and providing identification comments to any species we have misidentified or were unable to identify. Many of our Wolf Spider postings are not identified past the family level. We will also link to the BugGuide page on
Hogna helluo. 

Male Wolf Spider

Actually, I didn’t have to worry about feeding them until they dispersed from their mother, and then I simply bought some Drosophilia melanogaster, the smaller of the two commercially available species. Anyway, they were allowed to roam in a large aquarium with tons of places to hide and I sprinkled a hundred fruit flies or so in every other day. Once they had molted enough to be of any size, I fed them larger fruit flies (Drosophilia Hydei) and eventually pinhead crickets. Raising baby wolf spiders takes a lot of work, I actually made attempts at raising my own Drosophilias and crickets. Breeding and raising crickets is easier than the flies, and cheaper too. Out of each egg sac, I ended up with about a 50% survival rate. I believe there may have been some cannibalization, but I expected as much.
I have kept notes during my spider raising experiments, and plan on putting together a booklet (or a webpage) in case others want to make the attempt.
Now I only have 36 of them left, as the majority have been released to do good in my yard. Thanks for the opportunity to help you with the site, and hopefully I can contribute to helping to teach others about the wonder of insects and arachnids. 🙂

Location: Illinois

6 Responses to Female and Male Wolf Spiders

1. Hannah says:

I recently caught a large wolf spider?
    Not sure what kind of wolf it is or if it’s female or male. This is my first time caring for one and had some questions.
    Haki Kim

Perhaps you should release it while researching how to care for a wild caught spider.

• Nah says:

Now I know this is a four year old thread, but not every one in the world will find a thread in the same area. Also, I just want to give my experience to show you don’t really need to have an idea on a wolf spider’s exact species in order to care for them…

I caught a small marxi wolf spider that found her way into my room. When I just caught her, I had no idea what species or sex she was, until looking quite literally everywhere for an ID and got the answers one month or two later, however; I still kept taking care of her like one would care for any other wolf spider;

-Substrate [preferably coconut fibre]
        -tank
        -spray bottle to keep humidity and fill water dish
        -supply of small crickets, since she was little [went up in cricket size as she has grown]

All I needed was the basic knowledge, and right now, it has been about one good long year with her and she has grown from just a few centimetres, to three. I’ve caught her when she was perhaps only a juvenile. Within all that time of having no idea what her species was, she has been doing perfectly fine.

2. Nyrene says:

What size are they?

3. I’m trying to figure out what kind of spider I caught in my house. Also the gender. Help?

4. Annadraghicescu says:

Very Cool Website-this is so nice to know the fellow insects lovers of the world. How Fantastic…without any horrible judgment or headlines all involving how to kill all of these magnificent creatures! Thanks for the info and the positive influence.