some photos you might like
Location: northwest Illinois
July 18, 2011 12:12 am
I am an amateur arachnologist and I often catch spiders around my house with the intention of photographing them. I have also been raising some Hogna helluo wolf spiders from egg sacs for about seven months now. I have lots of pictures of spiders, and thought I’d share them with you. Should you need some nice spider pictures, or help identifying spiders, I am willing to offer my services for free. It’s a way to share my love for these much maligned little guys and gals, and give you a helping hand if you want to take me up on my offer. The second and third images are a male and a female juvenile wolf spiders, two members of my seven month old brood.
Signature: that spider guy
Dear Spider Guy,
Thanks so much for sending us images of your female and male Wolf Spiders. We are curious how you fed the hatchlings when they first emerged from the egg sac, or if you let them cannibalize each other until they were large enough to feed them small insects. You can actually assist us with identifications by checking out our Spider section and providing identification comments to any species we have misidentified or were unable to identify. Many of our Wolf Spider postings are not identified past the family level. We will also link to the BugGuide page on Hogna helluo.
Actually, I didn’t have to worry about feeding them until they dispersed from their mother, and then I simply bought some Drosophilia melanogaster, the smaller of the two commercially available species. Anyway, they were allowed to roam in a large aquarium with tons of places to hide and I sprinkled a hundred fruit flies or so in every other day. Once they had molted enough to be of any size, I fed them larger fruit flies (Drosophilia Hydei) and eventually pinhead crickets. Raising baby wolf spiders takes a lot of work, I actually made attempts at raising my own Drosophilias and crickets. Breeding and raising crickets is easier than the flies, and cheaper too. Out of each egg sac, I ended up with about a 50% survival rate. I believe there may have been some cannibalization, but I expected as much.
I have kept notes during my spider raising experiments, and plan on putting together a booklet (or a webpage) in case others want to make the attempt.
Now I only have 36 of them left, as the majority have been released to do good in my yard. Thanks for the opportunity to help you with the site, and hopefully I can contribute to helping to teach others about the wonder of insects and arachnids. 🙂