Beetle identification assistance.
Location: Chicago, illinois, United States
To whom it may concern,
Would you please help me with the identification of this interesting beetle.
I found it cuddling up near a light bulb and I transported it to a tree after watching him for awhile. The beetle is about a inch in length and approx half inch in width. All four legs have hook like claws. It also has two sensors that are orange and similar to a flower pedals I think it may be attracted to light as I spotted a large flying beetle circling the same light during the previous night.
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and have a nice day.
Signature: Sincerely Thomas

Grapevine Beetle

Hi Thomas,
We have been receiving numerous reports of Grapevine Beetle,
Pelidnota punctata, sightings this summer.  This large scarab beetle feeds on the foliage and fruit of grapes and the beetle grubs develop in rotting logs.  You can see BugGuide for additional information.

Location: Illinois

3 Responses to Grapevine Beetle

1. bob says:

Just found one in the strawberries. I do have grapes so I an wondering if I should take some action. please reply if you know about something I should do about it.

2. Indy5QQ says:

Just had one visit me here in Grand Rapids, Michigan! I snapped a photo of it because I was curious as to what finally landed on my outdoor multi-color chili lights. It was making all sorts of buzzing noises trying to land as it was running into things. Beautiful beetle!!! Grand Rapids is about 30 miles inland from Lake Michigan in the southwest portion of the lower peninsula.