Unknown Catapiller
Location: Denver, Colorado
Does anyone know what this is? I live in Denver and have never seen anything like it in 65 years. It was about 3 inches long and just appeared in a friends lap while sitting on the porch. He was sitting under some Virginia Creeper on a trellis.
Signature: Mark W in Denver

Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

Dear Mark,
This is the caterpillar of an Achemon Sphinx.  In addition to Virginia Creeper, they feed on the leaves of Grape and a few other vines.  The caterpillars of Sphinx Moths are known as Hornworms, however, a few species, including the Achemon Sphinx, lose the horn in an early molt.  All that remains of the caudal horn in the Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar is a Caudal Bump that might be mistaken for an eye by a predator.  You may read more about the Achemon Sphinx on the excellent Sphingidae of the Americas Website.

Thank you very much!!!!  I really appreciate your knowledge and you taking the time to make me smarter!
Mark

Location: Colorado

One Response to Achemon Sphinx Caterpillar

1. Robert says:

One of these was just discovered in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.