What kind of bug is this?
Location: St.John’s NL
I found this bug in my backyard all over small tree. I’m worried that the bug could be dangerous and what its called. I’m going to get rid of them, but i want to know the best way possible.
Signature: worried

Elderberry Borer

Dear worried,
Our geography is rusty, and we needed to decode your location, which we now realize is Newfoundland, Canada.  This elegant beetle is an Elderberry Borer.  We are guessing that the small tree is an elderberry tree and that the beetles are feeding on the pollen from the flowers.  They will help to pollinate the blossoms ensuring that the berries will follow.  BugGuide indicates that the species is uncommon, and we get very few photographs, so we hope you waited for our response before you got rid of this lovely beetle, which once appeared on a United States postage stamp.  The larvae of the Elderberry Borer or Elderberry Longhorn feed on the roots of the elderberry, but they are not considered to be a pest species.

Elderberry Longhorn on U.S. Stamp

Thank you for telling me what kingd of bug thats is, and i didnt get rid of them. I decided not to. Thanks a million

Location: Canada

3 Responses to Elderberry Borer in Canada

1. coupondiva says:

Hi!
    I found one of these in my backyard today too. I’m in St. John’s, Newfoundland Canada as well. What part of town are you in? I’m in Cowan Heights and my yard backs onto the river.
    denise 🙂

2. Cat says:

I have them in my house even the cupboard. Please advise. Thanks

3. Kaydence says:

I found this bug at my camp it was at Newfoundland bay Roberts Thanks for the advice I hope that that bug lives long