Stag beetle question
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Va
I found this stag beetle on my front porch in the morning laying on his back.
My question is-
Do you think he was dying?
Every time I tried to flip him right side up, he would flip himself onto his back and lay there slowly wiggling his legs.
I tried several times to help him out but he continues to flip onto his back.
Eventually I just moved him into the grass.
Signature: -Heather

Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

Dear Heather,
We don’t know what is causing this male Reddish Brown Stag Beetle to keep flopping onto his back, but it doesn’t sound like normal behavior.  I would seem that something is amiss.

Location: Virginia

6 Responses to Male Reddish Brown Stag Beetle

1. CabinMom says:

Update-
    An hour later I checked on him and he was indeed dead. He is sitting in my herb garden for the kids to take a look at.
    Thank you.

2. Jessi says:

I’ve seen the “back-flipping” a few times before, and most of the time it was because the bug was either sick or hurt. I’ve also seen it happen after a bug was suddenly moved from once space to another, but after a few minutes, they permanently flipped over on their legs and went on their merry way.

3. GigaG says:

I saw a similar one on my driveway that was almost all black. Oddly, I saw another one at an orthodontist’s office doing the same behavior. Can anybody identify him? It is near Toledo, Ohio (northern Ohio, less than 60 minutes from Detroit.)

http://i.imgur.com/pBucD.jpg

4. Trinity Butcher says:

I found one in my room this morning ( have no clue HOw he got in here) and he keeps flipping over, and like I would put him outside but…. I kinda feel like he’s gonna be dead in 30 secs if I do that…?

5. Trinity Butcher says:

I found one in my room this morning ( have no clue HOw he got in here) and he keeps flipping over, and like I would put him outside but…. I kinda feel like he’s gonna be dead in 30 secs if I do that…????