Trinidad Moths
Location: Trinidad
I found your homepage by chance when I tried to identify 3 very large moths we saw two weeks ago in Trinidad.
No1 is probably a white witch (picture taken at Asa Nature Lodge); No2 should be a Rothschildia taken at the ladies restroom in the visitor Centre of the Caroni swamps. No3 is a large silkmoth (at least 10cm wingspan)we had at the Radio and Tropospheric Scatter Station at Morne Bleu (670m high in the northern range). It would be nice, if you could help me with identification and/or confirmation of the three species.
Signature: Harald (Heidelberg, Germany)

White Witch

Dear Harald,
WE are positively thrilled to have received your marvelous photos from Trinidad, but since the three moths represent three different families (and three categories in our archives) we are going to split them up into distinct postings.  We are starting with the White Witch,
Thysania agrippina, a spectacular species that has the largest wingspan of any New World moth, and according to some experts, the greatest wingspan of any moth in the world.  The specimen you photographed is in such pristine condition, it is probably making collectors who visit our site salivate with desire, however, we would much rather see a living individual than a perfect specimen mounted in a collection.  We will make the subsequent postings later in the day.

Location: Trinidad