Amazing antennae
Location: Lake Lure, North Carolina
I came across a few of these flying insects in North Carolina, in the woods just a few minutes drive from Lake Lure, and took these pics. Probably an inch in total length, and emitted a hissing noise at times. Most amazing to me were the antennae, which you can see unfolded into a beautiful array. Do you know the species?
With thanks,
Signature: John Gibb Millspaugh

Variegated June Beetle

Dear John,
Yes indeed, the antennae of the Variegated June Beetle,
Polyphylla variolosa, are amazing.  The pictured individual is a male and his antennae are more developed to better “sniff” out the pheromones of the female.  We speculate that is the case, but no one really knows, from the male Variegated June Beetle’s perspective, what it is like to sense a mate, perhaps even from a great distance.  Your photos are truly amazing, and you can see how much better they are aesthetically as well as documentarily, by comparing your images to the ones posted to BugGuide.

Variegated June Beetle

Location: North Carolina

5 Responses to Variegated June Beetle

1. Eric_S says:

These were also sited at the north end of the Sierra Nevada mountains near Chilcoot, CA.

2. Sonny says:

Is it common to find these in West Yorkshire in England? I found one a few days ago in the middle of a path in danger of being squished and I didn’t know what it was so I put it under a nearby conifer. I’ve never seen one here in England before!

3. Abigail says:

I have pictures of the same bug; how do I post them?