what is this
Location: kansas
Curious what bug this is? It has been over 100 degrees here in central Kansas. Just noticed them over the last couple weeks. Thanks
Signature: kansas

Click Beetle

Hi kansas,
This is a Click Beetle in the family Elateridae, a large family with many similar looking species.  They are called Click Beetles because of their ability to snap their body to right themselves if they wind up on their backs, an action that produces an audible clicking sound.  Click Beetles are harmless, though some species are agricultural pests.  The larvae of Click Beetles are called Wireworms, and there are several species of Click Beetles, collectively called the Corn Wireworm, that damage young corn plants.  This Penn State website and this Purdue University website both have helpful information on the destructive Wireworm species.

Location: Kansas

4 Responses to Click Beetle

1. kevin bamrick says:

I just found one in an escalade for sale here in n.j. are they native to n.j.?

2. Danielle says:

I have a garden right outside my home (on the side) with tomatoes, squash, cauliflower, cucumbers, and potatoes. Do any of these plants draw click beetles? I have found 3 in my house in the last week. I live in North Carolina and remember playing with them as a child (clicking them) but I cannot remember seeing any in my house before. Is my garden the reason or just kids leaving the doors open at night when they catch lightening bugs?

Many species are attracted to lights. Also, larvae of some species are found in association with vegetable gardens.