Bug I have never seen before
Location: Central Illinois
Found this interesting fellow on my car door after work…it was night and it is summertime here. It is about 1.5 inches long…not a small bug. It flew into my car before I could study it any longer, luckily I got a nice pic. Thanks for taking your time to check out this bug.
Signature: Bre

Ivory Marked Beetle

Hi Bre,
This Longhorned Borer Beetle is an Ivory Marked Beetle,
Eburia quadrigeminata, and it is also called a Four-Marked Ash Borer according to BugGuide BugGuide also notes:  “hosts include a wide variety of hardwoods (oak, ash, hickory, locust, chestnut, maple, elm, beech, cherry); larvae bore in heartwood” and the remarkable “Notorious for emerging from furniture after as many as 10-40 yrs.”  You do not need to worry about the beetles boring into finished wood, however, if larvae are present when wood is milled, the metamorphosis period is affected lengthening the time the beetle remains in the larval and or pupal stages.

Location: Illinois

5 Responses to Ivory Marked Beetle

1. Dina says:

Spotted one today on my front door in Niles, Illinois, just north of Chicago.

2. Merle Miller says:

Saw 2 Sat night on my screen porch, had no idea what they were. Killed them but they came back to life last night. Used a fly swat Sat night. Stepped on them last night but they are not there this morning

3. KK says:

I found one on a cut open lime (left out accidentally overnight) on my kitchen counter. I rolled it into the garbage disposal with the water running. I used tongs to pull out the lime then turned on the disposal. Hope it doesn’t come back to life like MM above!

4. brooke says:

Found a huge one on my kitchen wall last night. Freaked out and put the description in google. South western, Indiana is my location

5. TL McKay says:

Geez, why so quick to kill? Fascinating that they can live so long & emerge years later–until they meet up with some of you folks!