Strange Chute out of garden
Location: Pennsylvania – front flower bed
I have these pinkish/red chutes coming up out of my garden with a white bulb on the end in the ground and a black tip (looks like electrical tape) on the top.
I have never seen anything like this and cannot find any references on the net that sound like it.
I do know I found a lot of grub like larvae earlier this spring when I was planting flowers.
Any ideas?
Signature: Dave

Mushrooms we believe

Hi Dave,
We believe this is a fungus, just a fancy name for a mushroom.  Perhaps it is related to new much you put down.  We will try to contact Lisa at the Mycologista blog to see if she recognizes this organism.

Before I even see this, from the graphic description I bet it’s a Stinkhorn…but, let’s see.

Location: Pennsylvania

5 Responses to Fungus we suspect

1. Mycologista says:

Yep! It’s a “stinkhorn” mushroom! The black tip is where the spores are, and these mushrooms use FLIES to disperse their spores, by attracting them by STINKING! And they’re not kidding, don’t sniff too close, it’s pretty bad.
    They’ve got some other, more GRAPHIC names. Search “stinkhorn” and let the fun begin!
    Personally, I think they’re awesome.

2. dorwageld@aol.com says:

Goodness, I had those elegant stinkhorns appear out of nowhere in a shady spot under some witch hazels a few years ago. I, too, would have initially bet that they were from the animal kingdom, rather than a fungus. As bad as they smelled, though, they were utterly amazing.

3. Mycologista says:

Oh, and the grub-like larvae have nothing to do with it…just more things living everywhere, like they do!

4. davidp37 says:

Hi guys,
    This is a tropical species of stinkhorns type fungus…Clathrus archeri, which was transported to other climates on timber and compost products. We occasionally get it in the UK, but I’ve never seen one sadly!