HUGE Black Beetle in New Jersey
Location: Southern New Jersey, near pine barrens
We found this beetle outside tonight and were amazed at his size! We’ve never seen a beetle that looked anything like this one and are curious to know more about it.
Signature: RD in NJ

Broad Necked Root Borer

Dear RD,
The quantity of requests we received in late June to identify the Broad Necked Root Borer,
Prionus laticollis, prompted us to name it Bug of the Month for July.  Most of our submissions this year were of females whose antennae are not as developed.  It is nice to get your photo of a male Broad Necked Root Borer.  Stay clear of the mandibles as they are quite powerful.  Though the species is not aggressive, it may bite if it is threatened or carelessly handled.

Location: New Jersey

7 Responses to Male Broad Necked Root Borer

1. heather reed says:

I’ve been seeing these for the past couple weeks, the male one. I’ve lived in southern Maine my entire life and never saw one. Any ideas how long they’ve been in this area? Thanks!

2. Andy Johnson says:

Hi, In case this site is still active here’s my 2 cents:
    Working out in the yard here in south Florida today I suddenly felt a sharp pain in the side of my right foot. I was wearing a sort of open sandal at the time and I saw what looked like a big Palmetto Bug (Roach) sticking out of one of the holes in the side of my sandal. I pulled off the sandal and one of these guys fell out. This is the first time I have seen one of these anywhere and am glad to have found out what it was. The bite was just a nip, no broken skin, although those mandibles look capable of more damage. He’s resting comfortably in a jar of alcohol at present.

3. Gino L'Altrella says:

My question is that do these beetles do harm in a vegetable garden ???

4. David Darden says:

I have a great picture of a giant one I found in New Jersey if you’d like to have it to post let me know!!! Thank You!!!!

5. Angela says:

I’d love to compare it to the one I just saw on my glass door. Scared me to death. I’m in NJ too

6. Rickl says:

I think we had one of these in the house in Mahwah NJ. Dive bombed my wife on the couch. Got it in a paper towel and put him outside. Quite large, almost 2 inches. As I turned to go back into the house I swear, he winked at me.