Bug in our Pool
Location: Mulvane, Kansas
Hello Bugman, our pool was drained six weeks ago and after many delays with our pool guy we still have an empty pool. Actually, not totally empty, about 8 inches of green water in the deep end. A few weeks ago, we started seeing these tiny bugs underwater that were sort of clearish with gray markings. Then yesterday I noticed they had come out of the water into the shallow end and were mating! I am totally grossed out by the whole situation and am worried my yard is going to be overrun with these things and what the heck are they. I’ve searched your site and they seem waterbuggish, but not quite. Please help.
Signature: Thanks, Linda and Steve

Dragonfly Exuviae

Bug in Pool (prior email
Location: Mulvane, KS
Dear What’s that Bug, believe it or not, but I’ve been looking for weeks before submitting my request to you. Then, this morning went back out to my pool to see if there was anything new with my bug and there was – it turned into a dragon fly! So, I’ve self-identified, and attached pics for your viewing pleasure. Guess they weren’t mating, but eating each other or just hanging out, who knows. Thanks again. (BTW, I feel so much better – dragonflies are nice) 🙂
Signature: Linda and Steve

Newly Metamorphosed Globe Skimmer Dragonfly

Dear Linda and Steve,
We are happy that you managed to self-identify the Dragonfly Exuviae that you found near your pool, and we are pleased that you were lucky enough to photograph a newly metamorphose adult.  We have considerable difficulty with Dragonfly species identifications, and we don’t want to take the time to attempt that at the moment since the sun is up in Los Angeles and we want to put in some Swiss Chard and other vegetables before it gets too hot.  Perhaps one of our readers will be able to supply a species name for us.

Location: Kansas

2 Responses to Globe Skimmer Exuviae and Imago

1. RenaudB says:

The molted dragonfly is actually a Globe Skimmer known as well as Wandering Glider (scient. name: Pantala flavescens), a species that have a huge range of distribution around the Globe and capable of covering great distances (some fly over Indian Ocean from India to Southeast Africa). They breed in places like rain pools and capable of developing from egg to adult within a month.
    That one is not yet o its mature colors but the tappered abdomen, back wings greatly expanded at its base as well as some features in wings veination is typical for it.

Renaud