Bug identity
Location: Southern Ontario/Niagara region Canada
Hi guys, found your website while trying to identify this bug/beetle. Flew into my woodworking shop at 10 pm. Trapped it in a mason jar. Almost seems like a milkweed borer( I grow it for the monarch’s) but not cylindrical like the descriptions that I found. I burn fire wood from local sources for heat in winter. I also do wood working with an extensive and expensive supply in my shop. My questions to you are; What is it? what is it’s habitat? is it a beneficial insect? a ladybug on steroids? We live in a fruit and grape growing area under quarantine for several diseases and insects, ash borer being the big one right now. I don’t want to release this without more info in case it is invasive.All info is appreciated and I thank you for. I live in southern Ontario/Niagara region and it visited me early July.
Signature: Dan Gilliam

Grapevine Beetle

Dear Dan,
This is a Grapevine Beetle,
Pelidnota punctata, and it is a local species for you.  They feed on the leaves of grape, but they are not considered a threat to the vineyards.

Thanks for the info and time to reply. I’ll let him go immediately. Dan

Location: Canada