Mr. and Mrs. Stag Beetle in my Kitchen Sink
Location: Chelmsford MA
Hi Folks,
I live in Chelmsford, MA. Thanks to your website, I was able to identify these enormous critters in my kitchen sink – I think they are male and female Reddish Brown Stag Beetles.
I have found at least two or these beetles in my kitchen sink every year at about the same time of year (early summer). Yesterday there were three of them in my sink. They must be coming up the drain, because anything that large flying in the house would drive my cats wild.
My questions are:
– Why do they come in to the sink every year?
– Is this normal stag beetle behavior?
– Should I be worried about the condition of my foundation or plumbing?
Your website convinced me that these bugs were worth saving, so I gently set them down in my yard.
Thank you so much for any insight you might be able to give!
Sincerely,
Frances Killam
Thank you for your help,
Frances Killam

Stag Beetles in the Kitchen Sink

Hi Frances,
This is most perplexing.  We read your email just prior to closing the offices for the night, and we felt we needed to be rested and refreshed before we tackled a response.  After a good night’s sleep, we still don’t have a conclusive answer for you.  Stag Beetles do spend their larval stage feeding on rotting wood, so there must be a suitable habitat nearby.  We found this marvelous British website Stag Beetles for Everyone that may provide you with some insight.  We can’t imagine that the Stag Beetles are entering your home through the drain and we would suspect that they have flown in.  Perhaps they are attracted to lights, and if a female arrived first and fell into the sink, her pheromones might attract willing male suitors.  The sink is a trap for many creatures, and once inside, they are stuck.  Perhaps other Stag Beetles have entered your home and those became cat food.  We would also encourage our readership to provide their opinions in our comment section.

Location: Massachusetts

4 Responses to A Pair of Reddish Brown Stag Beetles in the Kitchen Sink!!!

1. Jessi says:

The only stories I’ve ever heard about bugs coming out of drains, is when a tap that isn’t used for a long time is finally turned on, whatever was living in it before (usually a spider) is flushed out by the water. I recently had a situation similar to this one, except it was with a giant slug in the bathtub. I know it didn’t come out of the drain, and I’m pretty sure I would have seen it slowly making it’s way to the bathroom, but I didn’t. Bugs can be very sneaky and can crawl into homes through very small gaps that we wouldn’t normally notice. There’s also a theory that all living things are attracted to the energy of running water. I’m not sure if it’s true or not, but it sure would help explain why everyone’s always finding critters in the sink or tub!

2. logixisbad says:

Just this day here in central Indiana I saw a stag beetle and my friend said he had also seen them this week. I had to look on this site to identify the species (tonight), are these seasonal? Is there a hatch in progress?

Stag Beetle sightings peak in July and this helps to ensure that mature individuals capable of mating will also be coeval, though stragglers may be early and late.